Tuesday, June 14, 2011

One Thing More, One Thing Less

I've decided that this blog is the perfect place for me to keep ideas and thoughts from therapy as I don't really know many of you, and don't interact daily with the ones that I do. So sorry if I bore you....

Today at my therapy session I decided I really like my therapist. One of the biggest things I'm seeing him for is to learn how to deal with the anxiety and stress of a chronically ill child. Our whole session today was about general health and how the body reacts to trauma/highly stressful situations. He said that one thing he really likes about European doctors is that the first appt isn't with a doctor, it's with a nutritionist. Then they speak to someone about 'sleep hygiene', not medication to help sleep, but getting the rest you need on a consistent basis without medication. Only after you have controlled those issues and addressed exercise does a doctor look at medication as a solution. How obvious is that? I mean, seriously!

So, his challenge to me this next week is to eat more fruits and veggies, get more sleep before midnight (he called hours of sleep before midnight a 2for1 deal), and start incorporating walking or something moderately challenging every day. When I told him about this competition he said it sounded like a great jump start because it was about being HEALTHY and making lifestyle changes, not losing weight. (GO KARILYNN)

Another thing he mentioned to me was to focus on 'one thing more, one thing less'. This means to find one thing everyday that I can do for myself to be healthier, and one thing everyday that I can eliminate to be healthier. With the discoveries made the past few days regarding Molly's possible brain damage (and the JACKASS of a doctor that didn't tell us about it), I'm right back in freak out, emotional eating mode. I'm learning even more (if that's possible) that there is no way for a family to be healthy(in every sense of the word) without help. Whether it's temporary or long term, the only way to survive trauma/stress is to learn to accept help and encouragement from other people. And to take the time to give it to others when we are able.

Today my one thing more is SUNSHINE! We are planting a 'friendship flower garden' for the kids and their friends. Molly needs it for her vitamin D levels, and I'm sure mine could use a boost as well. My one thing less is junk food. I'm going to try my hardest to chew gum instead. And remind myself over and over that junk food doesn't help the situation and food is not the perfect comforter I keep thinking it is.

I think all of this carries over to the competition perfectly. We are all striving to be HEALTHIER, not just losing weight. So what are the some of your 'one thing more, one thing less'??

3 comments:

  1. My new favorite treats are watermelon and red grapes! They are seriously like candy to me! :) When I first started switching to this "healthy eating crap" I seriously thought I would never eat anything that tasted good every again. As it turns ou... it happens. You learn to love new things.. crave new things... and that you can absolutely live without the old things. Once again... so frustrating that you are dealing with this stuff with Molly! BLAH!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today my one thing more, will be to run one quarter of a mile more. My one thing less is to not eat ice cream tonight! I have been doing ok about that, but this craving just wont go away! And Like you, gum helps SO much! :) I like your idea of a friendship garden! It sounds really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... I am LOVING your blog title! That is SO awesome!! xoxoxo!!!
    One more hour of yoga. One less day that I exceed my dppt (Weight watcher speak for Daily PointsPlus Target... calorie budget)
    GO MANDY!!!

    ReplyDelete