Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Just Breathe

I have a new trainer-it's my dog. Since I started going for a walk every morning, he's decided that we CANNOT miss a day. Sunday morning I was relaxing, and he would NOT leave me alone. He followed me everywhere until Adam pointed out that he doesn't care what day of the week it is, he expects a walk every day now. So....I haven't missed a day. Sometimes we even go on two walks a day. It's been great to get out for a nice, brisk walk, and it's great exercise for our old fart of a dog.

I'm also doing better about not running to junk food every day. Not doing great on remember to actually eat real meals, but at least I'm not gorging on sweets all day long.

Today at my therapist appointment we talked about breathing, and the effect it has on our bodies. Basically, he said that when we are in a chronically high stress situation, our sympathetic nervous system takes over by constantly releasing cortisol and adrenaline (which doesn't help in the weight loss dept). It also starts taking over our breathing patterns. Instead of allowing our body to take deep, calming breaths throughout the day, we start taking more shallow breaths until our lungs aren't used to getting used anymore.

All of this makes sense to me and I've definitely felt tight as I've started running again (last week). So my new assignment is to take the time during the day and right before bed to take ten deep breaths with my eyes closed; counting to 5 for each inhale and exhale. It can be done anywhere, anytime (although if you do it when driving, don't close your eyes ;). He also added imagine being in a calm, peaceful place while doing it.

Another thing I've noticed as I'm trying to get back into running is the contrast in my mood already. I've gone three times in the past week and I can already feel a little bit of the resolve to eat better and treat my body right coming back. I like this feeling. I want it to stay.

I think another reason for me feeling better overall this week is how well Molly's appointment went yesterday. We met with Dr. Gooch in the rehab clinic at Primary's to see what the next step is as far as brain damage goes. She thinks Molly does NOT need any imaging done (mri, etc.) at this point. There are definitely some physical signs of something, but nothing so major that it would warrant further pursuit. So for now we'll proceed with physical therapy, gross motor therapy, and fine motor/occupational therapy through early intervention.

The next step will be to see how her speech develops and watch for signs of further damage. Dr. Gooch said that if there was any permanent damage done, it most likely will present itself as a learning disability. That won't be detected until she's closer to school age though. I was on cloud nine on the way home. (another thing I'm proud of is that I didn't have a massive anxiety attack driving back there like I did for the U2 concert last month)

I may not have lost any weight this month, but I feel like I'm on cloud nine and I'm getting my ducks in a row to start losing. So, I leave a challenge to remember to BREATHE DEEPLY every day! What are some of the calm, peaceful places you have???

2 comments:

  1. Going for a drive all by myself!
    Hey, I stumbled upon your blog. I think it's great. I hope you don't mind that I read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheri,

    Of course it's ok! I'm curious how you found it though....;)

    ReplyDelete