Tuesday, February 28, 2012

What's Next???

We've now been sick since Christmas. Thanks Grandpa! After the round of illness in January, February is now the month of croup and nasty head colds. Sad part is the only difference is the coughing sounds different. I took the family to our surprise mini-vacation over President's Day weekend and we had fun. We also became acquainted with several pharmacies around us. Of course the first time I decide not to bring a full arsenal of first aid stuff we get two kids with over 101 degree fevers, total congestion for three people, and a very constipated Molly that ends up with a massive reaction to some sugar that results in a VERY RAW little bum. Fortunately, I booked a two bedroom suite, so we had 3 tvs and lots of space for sick kids to sleep isolated. There was a water park at the hotel as well, so the healthy kids and Daddy did get to play quite a bit. Ever since we got home, the three big kids keep asking why we can't move there forever. I'm guessing the water park and theater room I rented out for movie night are the clinchers.

Adam has been completely wiped out by the head cold. He just can't seem to get fully healthy again this winter. Luckily, most of the kids are on the mend again. Molly had me pretty scared about dehydration for a while, but we're working on that. She has lost a lot of weight, but so far her doctor isn't overly worried. If it doesn't come back once she's better, then we'll worry. She is also having weird reactions to milk. We are on our third kind of milk to see if we can find something she's willing to drink and doesn't have bad side effects. Dairy moves through her too quickly and gives her horrible breath, and almond milk makes her so impacted that we almost ended up in the hospital. Her coughing/choking episodes are showing the slightest hint of getting better. And we found she is a massive snuggler with a high fever. Lately I've just been wishing she came with some kind of instruction manual so I would know what to give her to help.

All of the above had led me to put the house on total lockdown since the 20th. I kept kids home from school and even had Adam work from home. I know it's so annoying to be house bound, but it's better than thinking our need to get out is the cause for someone's trip to the hospital. If only more people would realize this instead of just keeping all their social plans even with sick kids! It's so frustrating!!! I'll tell you though, come May I just might have to buy passes to every single outside attraction in Utah so we're never home.

It's funny to call someone to come give us a quote on something for our basement, and they start asking what my availability is for them to come over. I've started just laughing and let them know I basically haven't left in two years, so unless they're booked until May I'm available any time they are. It's going to be so weird getting my mindset to change once we're free to come and go as we please.

For now, I'm happy we're finally getting some snow so I don't feel like it's just Molly keeping us home. And I'm excited to go to San Francisco with Adam next week. It should be an interesting adventure. Hopefully I can remember how to actually communicate with groups of adults...

No comments:

Post a Comment