Thursday, August 4, 2011

Call It Like I See It

So I have been relaxing this week in the food department. But I've been pushing myself in the running department. I'm thinking I'm going to start doing the fiber thing again because I actually felt pretty good when I did it. Adam has even jumped on the bandwagon and said he's noticed a difference too. He's also in the middle of crunch time, which means I'm a single parent again for a while. I think the exercise is helping me stay sane. I even ventured out for snow cones with the kiddos tonight after spending the afternoon getting staples in my oldest child's head.

Today's session with Paul was a good one. We talked about several random things. One of them was the return of my Molly nightmares. They started up again last week. Last night I woke myself up screaming. I asked him why they would be coming back now after three weeks of nothing, and this time they're not about her getting sick. Now its just her getting hurt. He said that when you're dealing with such intense stress for a while it takes your subconscious a long time to work things through. So even if consciously you are feeling like you've moved on, you might not have deep down. That's where dreams come in. They are like a pressure cooker getting ready to explode if you don't let out some steam every now and then. So instead of being freaked out by them I should be embracing them, because it's showing that my subconscious is trying to work things out. It made me feel much better.

We also talked about dealing with overly dramatic people and how to make it through a confrontation unscathed. He used the parable of the adulteress to illustrate his point. When confronted with an angry mob trying to 'throw Him under the bus', figuratively speaking, Christ didn't match their energy. Instead he drew in the ground. Then with all calmness spoke one line and went back to drawing. I never looked at that parable through that perspective, but it clicked in my head this time. There's no fight if you don't match the other person's intensity and energy. Hopefully I remember that in the future.

The last thing that stuck with me was along the same discussion line. Paul stated that there are two kinds of people in this world. There are the ones that 'call it like they see it', and then there are the ones that 'see it like they call it'. I thought about that for a while and I really agree with that assessment. You can either try to be logical and reasonable and own your life and choices, or you can skew the facts to fit your tainted view in life. One you are never a victim, the other you are the perpetual victim. He thinks I'm the first one, and I hope that doesn't change.

Here's to a good month of August!!

No comments:

Post a Comment