Wednesday, March 21, 2012

This and That

Another big week at our house. Last Friday was my 11th anniversary. Since we just got back from San Francisco we didn't do anything big, but we did end up with a baby-sitter and got to go out for a little while. It's crazy to see how far we've come together now. Especially the past couple of years. Trials and challenges have kept us on our toes, but really brought us closer together at the same time. Yay for us!

Last week also marked the beginning of us doing P90X together. Even though I'm super sore, I've been pleasantly surprised at how well I'm keeping up with everything. Adam is still working on it. It is much more intense than what he used to, and he has to take it easy with a bum knee still. The hardest part of doing it with him is that we have to do it at night after the kids are in bed. I've never been a night exerciser, so it's really messed with my sleeping patterns. It's fun to do it together though, and I think Adam has gained a new appreciation for the effort I put into it last summer. Hopefully we'll both be feeling great and looking ready for the summer when we're done.

Yesterday was physical therapy for Molly. We talked a lot about her lack of progression in her gross motor skills. She's getting so much better at putting weight on her left leg, and her crawling is much smoother now, but she's basically refused to try walking or going up the stairs for the past month or so. There's a part of me that's freaking out a little bit, but my 'mommy radar' tells me there's nothing to worry about.

After observing her for a while, her therapist noticed that when she does attempt to walk her left foot is turning completely out and then she rolls from the outside to the inside of her foot. We are hoping this can get corrected by wearing shoes, so now Molly is a shoe wearing little bitty. They really throw her off. For the first hour she just stared at them. It was pretty funny.

Another thing mentioned was that sometimes people with brain damage can't progress in verbal and gross motor skills at the same time. It's like it's too hard to focus on both simultaneously or something. Tiffany said she's seen it in toddlers sometimes-they start talking, but go totally silent before and during any attempt at walking. So it could be that Molly's brain is focusing on language right now because let me tell you, that girl is babbling ALL DAY LONG lately. She's even started waking up in the middle of the night just to babble for an hour or so. It's so stinkin' cute, but I was really hoping for a quiet baby for once.

The third scenario that was brought up was that there might be fluid building up on her brain. I mentioned that her head jumped another line in head size at her last check up after going down for a little while. At this point she wears about the same hat size as me. Tiffany said if that's the case, it would be changing her sleeping habits, making her fussy all the time, and basically stop her gross motor progression. I countered all the symptoms with 'she's also trying to teeth several incisors right now'. Which also makes perfect sense. So it was left that we'll watch it closely and I am having a little sit down with her pediatrician at her next check up(he already warned me that if it goes up again, we'll probably need to do an MRI just to make sure nothing's going on).

Moments like this make me thankful for my 'mommy radar'. Doctors and therapists are great. And they've helped our family a ton, but it's not the same thing as truly KNOWING a person like I know Molly. My heart tells me she's ok, so I've decided that's what I'm moving forward with. Her behavior is more in line with a true toddler lately, and to me that shows that her brain is cruising along. It just might be at a different pace than 'normal'.

So far I haven't completely given in to the stress and caved to the comfort food. I do feel like last week I was on top of the world and this week I'm struggling to keep my head above water. The groove I found last week apparently didn't last very long. I'm thinking a vacation or trip every month is probably overdoing it. I'm kind of excited to get back from Texas and have a couple of months to figure everything out and find my rhythm again. At the same time, the trips and getaways have done wonders for me mentally and emotionally.

At the end of the day, life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment